Skip to main content
Shop LATHER

Changed my Life Forever

My life in high school was pretty uneventful. For the most part I was a good kid, didn't get into too much trouble ... you could say I was "boring". Not really part of the "A" crowd, had trouble fitting in -- but despite that, I kinda walked to the beat of my own drum and I couldn't wait to get out of high school. I really hated those 4 years of my life and barely remember those years.... sad but true. I talk to some of my old classmates and they remember some things like it was yesterday. Pffft ... whatever!

So what could have possibly change my life forever?  Let's see if I can remember ...


It was my senior year and the students and faculty were in an uproar about getting ready for college. Wait ... what ... you mean there is  MORE school?  Ugh .. I was miserable. I had it set in my mind that I was not going to college and straight to work I go. Apparently, my mom had different plans for me. She adamantly told me that if I wanted to live in her house, I had to go to college... so basically it was go to school or get out! (she was tough). I really didn't even have any idea what school I wanted to go to or even what to major in... I was lost. Nothing interested me enough to go further ... well there was this one thing but I didn't know it at the time.

One night, my mom gets a phone call from my school telling her how excited they are about the college open house and can't wait to see all the parents there. She was a little baffled, since I purposely withheld this information from her. Thinking my plan worked ... she turns to me and says, let's go, we're going to the open house (DANG IT, foiled again) ... so off she literally dragged me to the event.  I was not a happy camper. She wouldn't leave until she visited every last booth and spoke to every spokesperson for each school ... good grief ... and I never said a word.  So finally the event was over and I was thinking to myself ... close call ... no college for me and I went on with my life.

I don't remember exactly how much time had passed. But I came home one day and my mom says to me "by the way ... I enrolled you in college" ... wait WHAAAAT?  She then handed me the pamphlets to Briarcliffe Business College in Bethpage, NY.  Still not impressed, I asked her why she picked that school. She then told me how she saw my interest in computers and thought it was the best fit for me (Moms, know everything ... lol) ... I was shocked, I didn't even realize then that computers was a thing ... they were still new, I mean I started with Commodore 64 when I was in elementary school and then by the time I was in high school we had an Apple computer.  I really did take a liking to them, but didn't think much of it. Well, never doubt your mom ... they always know what's best. So with all my fighting and fussing ... I went to college and to my surprise ... I LOVED IT. I aced almost every class (math killed me), had a 3.4 GPA and even tested out of some computer classes. It was at Briarcliffe where I really honed in on my love for technology. Even though, I only went for two years and graduated with my associates degree ... it opened doors for me that lead to my current career as a web content manager for a Fortune 500 company.

So what changed my life forever ... MY MOMMY! I love her and I'm so grateful to have someone always looking out for my best interests. I see some of my friends struggling today because they don't have a college education and are not being offered advancement in the work force. I also think you become more of a well-rounded individual and you experience and learn things that you might not have ever been exposed too.

A good college will prepare you to enter the work force; by teaching you how to dress for an interview, or how to present yourself professionally. When I graduated from Briarcliffe, I went on every interview with a portfolio (3" binder) of all my computer work, graphic design, database development, slide show presentations and anything else I designed.  I will never forget one interview at United Health Group with Geoffrey Vitrano ... he hired me on the spot and months after I started I met Doris, an office manager in another department and she stated to me .. "I know who you are. You are the girl that Geoff kept talking about, the one with the portfolio, right?", "Yeah that was me"... "Wow, he was so impressed by you, he couldn't stop talking about you".  Needless to say, Geoff and I are still friends to this day and he also has helped me to continue to grow as business professional and helped me achieve a long satisfying career, now 16 years in the making (Yes, I'm still with the same company).

I have seen first hand, how college can change your life for the better.  As a parent now, it is MUST that all of my children attend college. My hubby would disagree, as he is a college drop out and a self taught computer programmer (he is one of the fortunate ones). College wasn't for him either, but he also is a guy and back in the day "computers" was more of a man thing. I'm already paying for my eldest son's college education, a min of 2 years is required.

Overall, I never struggled for employment and was never without a job. I've never been laid off and I thank God that I have not had to go through those trials.  But even if I did, I know that I have my past education and my career history to fall back on and for this I owe thanks to my MOM... who started it all.

Our first family computer, Commodore 64
comment on this blog post if you remember this!



My dad had bought this for himself but
I ended up having more fun with it than he did.
This was my introduction to my LOVE of computers.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RumChata Pumpkin Pie Pudding Shots

I can't wait to try this!   If you try this recipe please comment and let us know how you liked it. Find Natural Face Skincare at LATHER INGREDIENTS: 1 small Pkg. pumpkin spice instant pudding 3/4 Cup Milk 3/4 Cup RumChata 8oz tub Cool Whip DIRECTIONS: 1. Whisk together the milk, liquor, and instant pudding mix in a bowl until combined.  2. Add cool whip a little at a time with whisk.  3.Spoon the pudding mixture into shot glasses , disposable shot cups or 1 or 2 ounce cups with lids. Place in freezer for at least 2 hours. Watch the video to see this recipe in action: If you try this recipe please comment on how you liked it! SEE ALSO: Easy Pumpkin Party Favors No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats Suffer from Anxiety, Panic Attacks,  Sleep Disorders or Chronic Pain?   Get relief from 100% Pure CBD Oil Drops: - Made with Certified Organic Hemp - Non GMO 100% all natural ingredients - FDA Approved

Do You Know Your Poop?

Do you know your poop?  Seriously, this is an important questions. Knowing your poop can help you determine what you need in your diet of if something else is wrong. So next time you go to the bathroom, instead of a quick flush, take a glance at your work of art as it can help determine if there are any issues with your diet or overall health. Source:   HealthWorks

Tasty Low Carb Chicken Dinner

Check out this low carb meal for your next family dinner.